The DMV has suspended my license… What now?!?!?!


When a California DMV hearing officer suspends your license you need to know the steps necessary to get a temporary license. For a first time DUI, 30 days of the license restriction is a hard suspension and you cannot have a license for that month. In order to get a restricted license after that 30 day period you will have to do 3 things.

1. File an SR-22 which shows proof of insurance (call your insurance company and have them file it with the DMV)

2. Enroll in a DUI first offenders program. it is a 3 month class. (this should be done ASAP)

3. Pay $125.00 and fill out a form at the DMV. As long as all of these requirements are met On a first time DUI, then you would be eligible for the restricted license at the end of the mandatory 30 day period. It is best to start this process as soon as the DMV has suspended your license. If you would like more information please visit the following web address on the DMV website.


A second DUI conviction within 10 years (or a loss at a DMV hearing) requires a license suspension of 1 year. There is no provision for a restricted license in Cialis this case.


If the DMV finds that the client refused to take a chemical test (or the client admits he refused in court), the client’s license is suspended for one year. There is no option for a restricted or provisional license. A second refusal warrants a two year suspension and a third is a three year suspension.


For those under the age of 21, a first DMV finding warrants a 1 year suspension, a second a two year suspension and a third is a three year suspension. The DMV BAC standard is a .01 instead of the .08 for those over the age of 21.

Should you have any additional questions about the DMV hearing and your license please feel free to contact my office at (619) 630-8529


This blog and its contents are not intended as legal advice and are only informational. Seneca Law Group is a law firm located in California and any information in this blog is related only to California law. None of the information in this blog should be relied upon in court proceedings without consulting an attorney. Each case is different and the law is always changing.  If you have a legal problem please feel free to contact us today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *